The Sienna, a new high performance kit HF transceiver
The DZkit company now has details of its new high performance kit transceiver , the Sienna, on its website. This rig is currently in its beta testing stage, according to company owner Brian Wood, W0DZ.
- 500 kHz to 30 MHz, with SSB, CW, AM and FM modes
- Triple IF stages. With Inrad filters as standard and further optional Inrad and Collins filters.
- +/- 1 ppm TXCO
- 455kHz IF (3rd IF stage) output
- Noise blanker
- Analogue metering
- 147 memories
- RS232C interface
- SO2R capable
- 10W output.
- Two switchable antenna ports
- Options include
- 100W PA
- A PC to install inside the transceiver, which can run Windows or Linux. (Two levels of performance are offered)
- Interface module that allows DVI, S-video output and 6W stereo audio output.
The website also explains the decision not to include 6m or IF DSP. The currently listed price is US $2899 for the standard kit, options are extra. DZkit estimates the build time to be around 30 hours.
This is an exciting choice for someone looking at that mid to high priced transceiver. The design looks very interesting, even the appearance makes the transceiver look quite different to the usual black box. It is nice to see such attention to the aesthetics in some of the new rigs – another radically looking rig is the Hilberling.
Great to see more companies producing exciting amateur radio transceivers. I wish DZkits the best success.
DZkits are soliciting for kit ideas, so if you have been frustrated by the lack of a certain amateur radio product in kit form, contact them.
Finally, thanks to Brian, W0DZ for permission to use the image of the Sienna.